Granola! What a delicious way to start the day! But store-bought types are so expensive and can often be loaded with added sugar and preservatives. Why not make your own? You can customise it to suit your own taste, adding in a mixture of dried fruits, nuts seeds – really jazz it up and get creative!
If you’ve got a bit more time and a really want to go back to basics then you’ll find the recipe for my homemade granola here, but if a quick fix is your thing and you want ready-made flavour then using GetBuzzing bars are the way to go! There are so many tasty flavours to choose from, so feel free to mix it up and use your favourites.
- 2 GetBuzzing bars – your choice of flavour, but I used the Banana and Date ones for a change
- A generous handful of mixed seeds – sunflower and pumpkin are a staple for me
- A generous handful of mixed nuts – walnuts and almonds go especially well with banana, but use whatever you have!
- Preheat an oven to 200degC
- Break the bars into smaller chunks (you decide the size) and spread onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment
- Bake the oats for 15mins until golden and crisp
- Crush/chop the nuts into smaller chunks, then mix in with the seeds
- When the oats are ready, toss with the nuts and seeds, then leave to cool (or serve warm if you prefer)
This simple granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks and tastes fantastic with a few healthy dollops of Greek yoghurt!
On a nutritional note, the GetBuzzing granola provides a great source of carbohydrate, iron, potassium and fibre – making it a great breakfast addition when you balance it with a source of protein (yoghurt or milk) and fat (nuts and seeds). You’ll be energised for the day ahead and get to enjoy a deliciously sweet breakfast too! Give it a try!
Comments and feedback always welcome!